Friday, October 26, 2012

Intimidation


"Why don't I get asked out more often? It must be because I'm smart, successful, and attractive and people find that intimidating."
Ok, the way I worded it makes it seem like a harsh joke. But how many times have we got into a conversation about why the opposite gender sucks and the "i" word pops up? I wonder how intimidation truly influences dating. Have you been comforting your friend after a rejection and you say 'he/she was just intimidated because you're so awesome'?  

It's awesome to have confidence! Don't get me wrong. Confidence is an essential part of dating and will propel you forward in your social life. Know how amazing you are. Know that if someone knew you, they would be intimidated. Just don't let this idea that you're not approachable because you're intimidating leak into your mind. Focus on who you want to meet rather than who would like to meet you but is acting like a shy puppy. Be confident and go talk to them; you never know what could happen. 

I decided to do a little research online. I searched "are guys intimidated by girls?" and I got a ton of results. A lot of women have written little online articles about how guys find them intimidating. Here is one: Why the Girl Who Has Everything Doesn't Have a Boyfriend. The article quotes a college aged woman who says “I once went on a date and the guy asked me about my career goals in life. After I told him he actually verbalized that I was intimidating. I am as sweet and gentle as they come, but I feel as though my driven work ethic repels guys.”  I wish the article had given information about what came after this date. Was the guy so intimidated that he never called her again? Or did he kinda mean it as a compliment.

 And aren't there a million factors that go into why a date would or would not be successful? The article also suggests that other factors that make you successful in the workplace could hurt a relationship like being a workaholic, being aggressive, having high expectations, etc. 

It may seem harsh to pop this little happy balloon but I think it is empowering. You are no longer tied down by this issue. You are approachable and friendly. Your successes make you an interesting, dynamic, deep person. Who doesn't want to get to know someone like that? If you find someone who doesn't, then drop them like they're hot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment